January 27, 2014

The pen sharper than a sword?

With the freedom of being able to write what you want on blogs without any set rules or regulations, it is very easy to cross the line. I recently read a post on a well known blog about a scandal on twitter between three people. They were mocked and ridiculed by the author, and I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy and laugh at a few jokes at their expense. The next day I read the news about one of the involved person being found dead. I went back to the blog and saw that the post was removed. Though it was just an unfortunate coincidence, the guilt was obvious.

There have been instances when I have gone back to my posts and felt why did I write that. What was I thinking! Of course it is all about freedom of speech and expression. But I would never want to cross that thin line of hurting someone's feelings on a public platform. So there is definitely a need of self policing.

What I use now is the toothpaste formula. Once you squeeze out the toothpaste, you can never put it back into the same tube again.  Once it is out, it is out.  After all the pen is not only mightier, it can be sharper than a sword!

No comments: