August 7, 2007

Through a mom's eyes

Before I became a mom (or maybe to-be mom), I would find it funny that people always spoke about their kids. It seemed like they glorified every small thing that their little one did. And so I had decided, that one day when I have one of my own, I will not talk too much about my baby and will not brag about what she does.
Well, that was then and here I am now! After 9 months of pregnancy and delivering my baby and 9 months of being a new mom, I am in total awe of my princess! I cannot stop talking about her and being constantly amazed by what she does.
In March 2006, I saw a tiny black pumping dot with a heartbeat displayed on the screen of the Sonogram monitor, and that was the moment we were introduced to our baby. For the next 8 months, she moved, she squirmed, she wriggled, she kicked, and sometimes she didn’t do anything for hours and made me rush to the ER. I finally met her physically on an evening in Nov, and (here I begin) she was more than I had imagined through all the months! I say this for two reasons; I was warned by a lot of people and in my Lamaze classes about the awkwardness that babies are born with, but she looked perfect to me; And the other, I thought she was my baby too, what is with her being a photocopy of B!
She has me totally mesmerized with her actions everyday and the next day only gets even better. It has been a joy watching her achieve her physical milestones of rolling over, swimming and crawling on the floor, sitting and standing. Cannot wait to see those tiny steps! But what I have enjoyed the most is the work of her mind! Her mind seems like a sponge which just absorbs almost everything that she sees and hears. I think I can start another blog about the work of her mind! But maybe a post will follow soon.
I have been thinking about what makes my baby’s crawling or babbling so different from that of numerous kids that I have seen? What is so special about every one of those little actions that I just cannot stop talking about? I think it’s the very fact that she is the first baby I have seen transforming from that tiny dot on the ultrasound monitor, to the soccer player inside me, to the innocent face learning to satisfy her hunger, to the infant learning to be mobile, to the baby understanding her surroundings and knowing who is who, to the person who tries to communicate with her eyes and babbles! I can only see this fascination with her grow over the years, and I can now understand how each of those parents felt all these past years.