September 16, 2010

Life on my windowsill







It is a pleasure to see this every morning on my sunny kitchen windowsill. To think that I did not think of this before is a shame! Given how less of a time and effort it takes to plant these. I used fenugreek seeds and corriander seeds from my spice box. Just soaked them in water for a day and then drained and wrapped it in a kitchen towel and let it sprout for another day. I used small plastic drinking glasses to plant them in. (Now I am thinking I should have used something bigger considering how well they are doing) Just water them everyday with a lot of love. And the light green leaves that sprout out send back to you double the happiness! I have a mint shrub in my backyard, and am just attempting to grow it indoors for the winter months. It is taking time but is still doing well. I promise you just do it and you will love it. Not to mention that a yummy dish of aloo methi will just be a pluck away!


4 comments:

Introspection said...

Hi, just a word of advice on the mint plant. You don't have to worry about planting it in a pot for it to survive winter. It comes back promptly, more vigorously. It spreads fast and takes up space from other plants too! So to curtail it from spreading, it is a good idea to take it out, (Inclusive of all the roots) plant it in a big pot. Learnt this thru' experience :(

Shruthi said...

Have you harvested any of it yet? When you pluck it, rinse it and cut it, the coriander makes such a wonderful crunch sound, and gives out the loveliest aroma - unheard of in even the freshest soppu bought from the shop!

Madhu said...

@Veena - Thanks for the advice. We are already seeing what you are talking about. Need to soon do something about it.

@Shruthi - Not yet harvested the corriander. Did harvest the methi and the freshness was unbelievable.

Ranjani said...

We have all the Sunshine here with good soil..Its high time i get some more plants to accompany Tulsi pot in our small balcony..